11/2012 Update: Uniqlo Now Available for purchase online!
Now that Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Cyber Monday are behind us and the massive holiday shopping chaos is largely over, I woke up this morning and realized it was already December 1st!
On my regular early morning walk with my fantastic pooch in the brisk morning air, I realized it was getting time to hang up my shorts, t-shirt and flip flops, and pull out my sweat pants, warm hiking shoes, and of course something that would keep my top-half warm.
Enter my newly obtained Uniqlo Heattech short sleeve and long sleeve undershirts.
It’s been a bit over 2 years since I’ve written about Uniqlo Heattech. This is mostly because the Mrs. and I live on the West Coast, and Uniqlo is and only has been available on the East Coast in New York City (Manhattan). In fact, you can’t even buy Uniqlo online in the United States, if you can believe that. So, I’ve never had the opportunity to try them out personally — that is — not until recently.
A friend of mine travels to NYC each year and spends a couple months there. During his visit, I asked if he’d visit one of the Uniqlo stores and pick me up the full range of Uniqlo undershirt products, along with a couple other items. He returned with products in hand – making me feel like I received an early Christmas gift!
WOWZERS! I’m going on record to profess my love for Uniqlo products (at least the ones I received). Everything I tried fit and feels great on the skin, plus they’re offered at an incredible value. If I recall correctly, I received all of the following items for around $150:
- Heattech short sleeve ($12.90)
- Heattech long sleeve ($19.90)
- Uniqlo premium Supima cotton 2-pack ($12.90)
- Uniqlo DRY color t-SHIRT ($5.90)
- Two pairs of Uniqlo Denim Jeans – these are awesome (I think these were just under $50 each)
I’ve always been curious on how the Uniqlo Heattech undershirts help keep you warmer, and now that I have them and have a better understanding of fabrics, I get it now! Review time..
- Manufacturer: Uniqlo
- Line: Heattech
- Manufactured in China
- RN#: Rn115307
- Price: Short Sleeve ($12.90), Long Sleeve ($19.90)
- Fabric Blend: 40% acrylic, 33% polyester, 21% rayon, 6% spandex
- Sizing Specs: Available in my Sizing/Resource Workbook
- IT KEEPS YOU WARM! No kidding – I didn’t get it originally, but in trying out both the short sleeve and the long sleeve undershirts, not only did they keep me much warmer than if I were wearing a regular undershirt, one morning the shirt retained enough heat to make my back sweat a little. The warmth primarily comes from the 40% acrylic content. From my prior research I learned that acrylic fabric is warm and used as a wool replacement in some garments. Good stuff.
- Feels great on the skin – almost silky. To be honest, from a comfort point of view, it beats many of my top 5 undershirts. Time to update my list!
- Fits pretty much perfect in every way. Great body fit, sleeve length, overall length.
- Amazing value. Considering the fact that this is function-specific undershirt (warmth) and it performs as intended, the $12.90 price point is well worth it.
The Not So Good
- You can only buy it in New York City. Damn them! Maybe I can become an online reseller..hmmm.
- It’s probably too warm to wear in the spring/summer or in warmer climates.
The Bottom Line
If you can, buy this undershirt and wear it throughout the winter. If you live in a cold climate year round, you should have a bunch of these in your undershirt drawers.
I love Uniqlo!