Thanks for stopping by! This article was originally written in 2008, however, I’ve been keeping it updated throughout the years as I come across new undershirts that fit into this “tall” or longer undershirt category.
To unlock the contents of the entire article, just enter your email in the subscribe box below. You can opt-out any time (:
I’m hearing from lots of tall guys that they just can’t find an undershirt that not only fits right, but is also long enough to keep it from coming untucked. From what I’ve heard (and experienced), the shirts that are long enough for our longer torso friends are generally too wide to fit them properly.
12/16/09 – Although I hadn’t thought about it earlier, another good reason to buy an undershirt that is longer is that it actually keeps your outer shirt tucked in better. Blogger Jason Howell says it best in the following post about dressing for success:
A couple tricks for keeping your shirt tucked in by the way is
1) wearing a long undershirt, and
2) keeping good posture (while sitting or standing).
The undershirt is typically the first thing that gets “untucked” and it starts by puckering your clothing around the waist. Once that happens it is pretty easy for the top shirt to follow suit.
If however your undershirt is a little longer, it will likely be more difficult for it to come undone, making it less likely that your top shirt will. This is dependent on whether your good posture is maintained throughout the day.
Maintain your posture and your clothes will better maintain themselves.
See Part 2 of this topic here:
Ask Tug: Undershirts for Tall Men (Long Undershirts) Part 2 – Looking for the perfect undershirt for my husband
I wanted to recap a couple of the longer undershirts I found and share an announcement about another undershirt company we’ve reviewed here before that recently announced the availability of an extra long undershirt.
- Casual Male XL offers a Large Tall Jockey V-Neck undershirt. Look for one they specifically refer to as “large tall”
- TommyJohn offers a nice soft tailored undershirt that is cut a little longer and uses something called “TailoredStretch” technology to keep the bottom of the shirt from untucking. In simple terms, the bottom is narrower than the chest and the fabric at the bottom is stretchy, but snug so it hugs your bottom pretty nicely and it stays in place rather well. They also recently announced a light Micro Model version of their undershirts as well as a new line of low-rise boxer briefs
- The latest company to join in the long undershirt bandwagon is RibbedTee.com. Their primary undershirt lines (CoolWear Undershirts, Retro Fit Undershirts, MicroModal Undershirts, ) are 1.5″-2″ longer than typical undershirts (size large: 30″ long compared to 27″-28″) and the bottom is also narrower than the chest so they stay tucked! They’re also specially designed so they won’t bunch up underneath your clothing. [Updated 11/2012, 6/2015]
- Stafford® Essentials brand undershirts from JCPenney include v-neck, crew neck, and tank tops (wifebeaters) and each offer a variety of style options including tall, extra tall, big tall. They also offer a cotton/poly blend that will add some moisture wicking capabilities
Sites That Link to this Post
- Tall Undershirts & Fabric Weight | Undershirt Guy Blog | July 25, 2015
- Do You Tuck Your Undershirts Into Your Underwear? Robert Downey Jr. Does. | Undershirt Guy Blog | July 24, 2015
- Undershirt Wearing Tips Video | Undershirt Guy Blog | March 20, 2015
- Undershirts for Tall Men (Long Undershirts) Part 2 - Looking for the perfect undershirt for my husband | The Undershirt Guy Blog | December 20, 2008