I’m hearing from lots of tall guys that they just can’t find an undershirt that not only fits right, but is also long enough to keep it from coming untucked. From what I’ve heard (and experienced), the shirts that are long enough for our longer torso friends are generally too wide to fit them properly.
12/16/09 – Although I hadn’t thought about it earlier, another good reason to buy an undershirt that is longer is that it actually keeps your outer shirt tucked in better. Blogger Jason Howell says it best in the following post about dressing for success:
A couple tricks for keeping your shirt tucked in by the way is 1) wearing a long undershirt and 2) keeping good posture (while sitting or standing). The undershirt is typically the first thing that gets “untucked” and it starts by puckering your clothing around the waist. Once that happens it is pretty easy for the top shirt to follow suit. If however your undershirt is a little longer, it will likely be more difficult for it to come undone, making it less likely that your top shirt will. This is dependent on whether your good posture is maintained throughout the day. Maintain your posture and your clothes will better maintain themselves.
See Part 2 of this topic here:
Ask Tug: Undershirts for Tall Men (Long Undershirts) Part 2 – Looking for the perfect undershirt for my husband
I wanted to recap a couple of the longer undershirts I found and share an announcement about another undershirt company we’ve reviewed here before that recently announced the availability of an extra long undershirt.
- Casual Male XL offers a Large Tall Jockey V-Neck undershirt. Look for one they specifically refer to as “large tall”.
- TommyJohn offers a nice soft tailored undershirt that is cut a little longer and uses something called “TailoredStretch” technology to keep the bottom of the shirt from untucking. In simple terms, the bottom is narrower than the chest and the fabric at the bottom is stretchy, but snug so it hugs your bottom pretty nicely and it stays in place rather well. They also recently announced a light Micro Model version of their undershirts as well as a new line of low-rise boxer briefs.
- The latest company to join in the long undershirt bandwagon is RibbedTee.com. Their primary undershirt lines (MicroModal Undershirts, CoolWear Undershirts, Classic Fit Undershirts) are 1.5″-2″ longer than typical undershirts (31″ long compared to 29″) and the bottom is also narrower than the chest so they stay tucked! They’re also specially designed so they won’t bunch up underneath your clothing. [Updated 11/2012]
- Stafford® Essentials brand undershirts from JCPenney include v-neck, crew neck, and tank tops (wifebeaters) and each offer a variety of style options including tall, extra tall, big tall. They also offer a cotton/poly blend that will add some moisture wicking capabilities.
- Merona Undershirts from Target – A reader posted a comment noting that these undershirts from target were extra long as well.
- 2/3/11 Update: For our good friends to the greater North (Canada), a reader wrote in letting me know that Stanfields in Nova Scotia carries undershirts that are a whopping 7″ longer than standard-length undershirts (36″ overall length)! Whoa, for you really tall guys, this should be perfect.
- 8/20/11 Update: Check out the extra-long undershirts at Tall Man’s Clothing. Specifically designed for men from 6’2″ to 7′.
- 12/2012 Update: The Foundry offers extra long undershirt for tall men.
As I hear about more undershirts that fit into this category, I’ll update this post so there’s one central location for people to find extra-long undershirts (or better put as undershirts that actually fit tall men).
You may also want to check out the following posts for other information about undershirts for tall men:
- Ask Tug Update: What do you think? Deep V-Neck Undershirt for Tall Men
- Ask Tug: What do you think? Deep V-Neck Undershirt for Tall Men
- Ask Tug: Undershirts for Tall Men (Long Undershirts) Part 2 – Looking for the perfect undershirt for my husband