Man, I have been DYING to tell you all about this!! I’ve known about this for a few weeks now and I’ve just been chomping at the bit to tell everyone! But, I promised the wonderful people over at SPANX HQ that I’d keep it on the down-low until they gave me the ok to break the news.
Thats right, the SPANX for Men Cotton Compression Undershirt line, which includes black and white v-neck ($58), crew neck ($58), and tank top ($55) undershirts, are going to be available (for pre-order) on SPANX.com starting today, February 4, 2010!
Here are the details:
- Starting today (2/4/2010), you’ll be able to visit SPANX.com and order SPANX 4 Men. You’ll need to put in all your payment information, so make sure you have a credit card ready (operators are standing by..) Your card will not be charged until your pre-order ships
- Pre-Orders will start shipping out on or around 2/20/2010
- SPANX.com will initially offer only the white color cotton compression undershirts online, then introduce the black color men’s spanx on 4/1/2010
- Our cool friends over at Neiman Marcus will be the exclusive retail partner of S4M starting in mid-March 2010. I got word that they should be carrying both white and black colors then, so if you’re looking for black and don’t want to wait until 4/1, you’ll be able to run over to NM and pick one up there. I assume that all NM stores will be carrying them at that time, but if I find out any more details of specific stores and dates, I’ll post it here. Other high-end retailers will start carrying the product later in the year.
- If you want a first-hand look at the product along with a comprehensive product review, you can check out all the details by visiting my SPANX for Men Cotton Compression Undershirt review here.
Not only did I get the privilege to be the first to make this exciting announcement, I just got off the phone with SPANX Founder and Owner, Sara Blakely who was sweet enough to take the time out to answer some questions about the new SPANX for Men product line. Here is the Q & A (I could not record the phone conversation, so I did my best to represent Sara’s comments/responses as accurately as possible)
Q. When did you first have the idea of coming out with s4m and what was the main driver behind launching a Men’s line of SPANX?
A: They started getting a bunch of requests from customers, men were emailing directly, and they found out through designers that many of their men celebrity clients were wearing women’s spanx and they were always requesting a male version. Sara is personally inspired to make things better and she had been talking with her brother and husband about it and realized that not much has changed in the men’s undershirt market since they first came out in the early 1900′s. Basically, they all wished there was a better undershirt out there, so Sara and her team decided it was about time for them to do something about it! (You go Sara!)
Q. Can you tell us a little about the design process you used. for example, how did you finally determine that s4m should have the unique narrow waist design that it does? did you look at other men’s slimming undershirts during the design phase? are you going for more slimming effects or more of a smoothing/flattening?
A. Fit drove the whole process. The knew they wanted and needed a more tapered undershirt because men want to tuck in their shirt and want to wear more fitted clothing. Plus the tapering effect gives the necessary amount of compression and slimming around the waist area. So, with that basic idea in mind, they searched for the best yarn combinations, check out the fit on men, and keep iterating until they reached the perfect design.
Q. What was your motivation and goal behind choosing the particular fabric blend you are using in s4m? (which looks more like a traditional undershirt)
A. Sara and her team wanted it to look and feel as much like the men’s undertee as possible as they felt it would be an easier transition for men. Also, they chose cotton because how well it performs as an undergarment and no one had yet figured out how to do a men’s shapewear undershirt in cotton very well. They always strive to offer something unique that people cannot get anywhere else. They do have plans to do other men’s shapewear undershirts in the future, such as making ones made out of synthetic materials for performance wear. They also have other styles up there sleeves. (I can’t wait!)
Q. From what I’ve seen so far, the new men’s line include a white and black tank top, crew neck, and v-neck undershirt. do you have plans to launch any other colors or styles any time soon?
A. They’ll be offering S4M in grey color in the fall. Future growth of the product line will be based on customer feedback.
Here’s the official press release:
SPANX for Men Cotton Compression Undershirt Launch Release
Sites That Link to this Post
- Twitter BUZZ: SPANX for Men to Launch in February 2010! Celebs Wearing them too! | The Undershirt Guy Blog | February 5, 2010
- Ask Tug: Compression and Slimming Undershirts. Shapewear for Men. | The Undershirt Guy Blog | February 4, 2010
- Tug Exclusive! The REAL SPANX Shapewear for Men By Sara Blakely Is Coming! | The Undershirt Guy Blog | February 4, 2010