No, I’m not turning “Metro” on you all, but frankly speaking I like to take care of myself.
Taking care of yourself doesn’t just have to stop at eating right, exercising regularly, bathing, shaving, and getting your hair cut either. It’s about all-over hygiene, and taking the extra effort to feel and look your best.
Don’t get me wrong — I’m not suggesting you’re doing anything wrong if you don’t manscape, get “man”-icures, pedicures or facials, or even use face or body scrubs and lotions. I’m simply saying that if it makes you feel good doing any of those things, you shouldn’t be ashamed or embarrassed of doing them.
Personally speaking, I’m a big fan of facial scrubs (trying to keep a youthful appearance in my old age) so every chance I get, I like to try something out. I’ve used the EVOLUTIONMAN Wash & Buff facial scrub, and it’s really a great product, but when I got this “Beauty Tips With Lemons” pitch email from Limoneira recently suggesting another natural option for exfoliating, I thought what the hell — let’s give it a try.
I’ll preface this by saying the email was clearly written to target women, but I looked past that to see if there were anything us guys should try. I rearranged the release and brought any items that had specific suggestions to the top and colored them in blue so they were easy to find.
I did the cut lemon/sugar exfoliation thing (from Dr. Chiaki Kawashima) this morning and I have to say, my face feels pretty refreshed and cool still. I’ll keep doing it for a couple weeks and see if I can notice any difference.
Beauty Tips With Lemons
I just wanted to take a minute to share with you some great, and potentially enlightening, uses for lemons in the vast world that is beauty. SoCal lemon grower Limoneira have paired with experts in the field all over the world, and we’ve put together this lovely list for your enjoyment and/or sharing.
LIMONEIRA ALLURES BEAUTY EXPERTS FROM AROUND THE WORLD TO “UNLEASH THE BEAUTIFUL POWER OF LEMONS
Leading agribusiness joins forces with noteworthy beauty experts to highlight the various ways lemons can be used in skin, nail and hair care
(SANTA PAULA, CA) – Limoneira Company, the largest provider of lemons in the country, has launched a new marketing campaign, Unleash the Power of Lemons, which connects Limoneira to experts in the areas of health, beauty, food and beverage, lifestyle, and cleaning; promoting the many innovative uses of lemons. “The local leaders we’ve paired with are the movers and shakers in their industries and they’re experts in using lemons in a variety of creative, useful, and fun ways,” says John Chamberlain, Limoneira’s Director of Marketing. He continues, “Our ten beauty partners are excited to share their tips for using Limoneira lemons with consumers for easy and natural beauty solutions.”
Limoneira has come together with beauty experts in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, Miami, San Francisco, Texas, Japan, Manila, China and Canada. The experts suggest the following uses for lemons as part of a beauty regime:
- Dr. Chiaki Kawashima: beauty and skin care expert and graduate of Tokyo Medical University, member of the Japanese Dermatology Association, the Japanese Cosmetic Science Association and more, her Azabu Skin Clinic specializes in natural rejuvenation and creating beautiful skin. Dr. Kawashima offers this simple and natural exfoliation technique: Simply rub a cut lemon dipped in ½ teaspoon of sugar over your face for a few minutes. Do this weekly to remove dead skin cells and keep your complexion refreshed.
- Christine Dychiao: Best known for her blog Manila Fashion Observer, retail consultant and full-time family woman. She loves easy and natural beauty tips and suggests applying equal parts of lemon juice and honey to the face and neck for radiant skin. Leave on for 10 minutes then rinse off with cold water. Lemons contain alpha hydroxy acids which are highly valued in beauty products.
- Tayler Rogers and Kendra Lovik: The wise women behind the Beauty Mark one of Vancouver’s longstanding beauty boutiques that offers Canadians highly coveted brands and products north of the border. For their own radiant skin they mix equal amounts of lemon juice and honey and apply on your face and neck. After 10 minutes, rinse off with cold water.
- Paula Valdés Avila: Lauded as one of the finest hotels in the world, the 32-room Tierra Atacama Hotel and Spa is an oasis in the rugged Chilean outback. The Tierra Atacama’s Uma Spa is located in a beautiful green retreat with sweet multi-colored gardens and majestic views of the volcano. A devotee of aromatherapy, Spa Director Liliana Elgueta, recommends combining 1 part lemon essential oil with 10 parts jojoba oil to revitalize the complexion.
- Norma Garza: Founder of Norma’s Touch Skin Specialty Spa, helps Houstonians achieve a glowing complexion by combining nature and science. The spa offers a comprehensive array of treatments including microdermabrasion, herbal and chemical peels, anti-aging, non-invasive skincare and treatments. To control Oily Skin, Nora recommends combining 2 tbsp. lemon juice, 2 tbsp. vodka, 1 tbsp. distilled water, and 1 tsp. of witch hazel. Apply mixture with cotton ball to skin then rinse. This oily skin treatment will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
- Billy Yamaguchi: Celebrity stylist and force behind Yamaguchi salons; applies ancient principles of Feng Shui to beauty techniques; Billy and his team use Limoneira lemons for their Lemon Cooler Pedicure at the Yamaguchi Salon at the Four Seasons in Westlake Village.
- Kristin Akins: Professional and passionate dedicated Skin Therapist; owner of Pelle Sana Salon in Chicago; draws on natural elements and knowledge of medical esthetics to find the perfect treatment for clients, including softening cuticles with Limoneira lemons.
- Elizabeth Canler: Owner and founder of Miami Skin Boutique and Spa. Elizabeth is sought for her suggestions for beautiful, glowing skin. Elizabeth is familiar with the fact that lemons contain a number of natural properties that enhance hair and skin, such citric acid, which is often used in skin-creams, toners and face cleansers to balance the pH of your skin.
- Sarah Redmond: Founder of Cocoon Urban Day Spa, an exclusive urban sanctuary in the heart of San Francisco where their treatments and services are carried out in a serene and tranquil environment. Sarah is European trained and has an internationally recognized degree specializing in skin care. She recommends using the “Smooth and Clean Skin Rub” (which can be found on the Limoneira website).
“Lemons are one of the most versatile items in the produce department” says John Carter, Limoneira’s Director of Global Sales. “Our Unleash the Power of Lemons campaign takes advantage of today’s technology, and its fun, informative and easy. Everyone knows that lemons are a great recipe ingredient and enhancer, but they also have many uses in the areas of health, lifestyle, beauty, and cleaning. These applications are represented by fun icon images in conjunction with our consumer QR code that links to our website lemon shopper pages.”
The Limoneira Company was founded in Ventura County, California in 1893. Their dedication and innovation in the agricultural industry helped found and develop many institutions that still exist (Sunkist Growers, Fruit Growers Supply and Diamond Walnut). Today, Limoneira has evolved into a global company whose mission is to preserve and promote its tradition, heritage and legacy in agriculture and community development. With over 7,000 acres of agricultural production, Limoneira is the largest provider of lemons and avocados in the United States. In addition to agriculture, Limoneira has a long history of community building and involvement in residential and commercial real estate. Finally, sustainability has been woven into Limoneira’s fabric for over a century with strategic investments in water, solar, soil, and integrated pest management. For more information, visit www.limoneira.com.