Wow, now that’s a pretty strong statement. But one guy over at Badger & Blade said just that a while ago, and looked to the community for some alternate undershirt recommendations:
I remember when Hanes undershirts were dependable. They kept their shape and the neck didn’t stretch out.
Now, they are horrible right out of the package. The bodies are a lot shorter and the necks are huge. The hem around the neckline is ugly, too. After a wash or two, they shrink. But not a shrinking that you might expect. Oh, no. That would be too easy. The bodies & arms get even shorter, while the neck opening gets bigger.
Guys, I need a new undershirt. I prefer white cotton crew-neck. I don’t like them super-thick or tight. I wear a large under my buttondowns, despite the fact that my normal size (for “nice” t-shirts) is XL. I don’t like XL undershirts because they bunch up and the neck doesn’t look good under a buttondown.
What are your favorite brands? I’ve tried Towncraft, and those get too short after too few washes. Stafford undershirts are too thick. I have some colored Jerzees that I like, but those are a bit pricey to buy in bulk, so to speak. But I’m willing to bend.
I read through all the recommendations and here’s a summary of what the other guys had to say:
- Most concurred with the creator of the post, stating quality, size and comfort issues with Hanes undershirts (and underwear)
- Nordstrom house brand was a welcome suggestion
- CK was another recommendation, but since they have so many offerings, it’s hard to tell which one the reader was recommending
- I learned that the Costco undershirts are made by Gilden? Wow, that’s a new one for me
- The Marks & Spencer house brand of undershirts were another recommendation from a guy who had tried CK & Jockey
- I learned about a new site where you could by cheap undershirts for under $2 (JiffyShirts.com), but then there’s a ton of “bulk t-shirt” sites out on the internet
- The Nautica undershirts from Marshalls or TJMaxx got a good plug
But, the Undershirt that was the big winner in the forums was…Land’s End Undershirts!
I order mine from Land’s End now – medium weight soft cotton, nice neck hem, long tails, roomy in the arm pits, tags moved from neck area to near the bottom hem. They don’t shrink, stretch out of shape, or pull up out of your pants.
There were a bunch of guys who endorsed Land’s End undershirts in the thread, so that’s a pretty good indication that they make a quality product.
So, I’m gonna get me some new Land’s Ends undershirts soon. Who knows, maybe they’ll make my Top 5 Favorite Undershirts list!
Food for Thought…
You know, for some time I’ve been hearing this same general lack of quality theme about Hanes and my buddies over at Fruit-of-the-Loom. As I’ve mentioned before, these companies offer a good overall value, but what good is that if people are growing continually dissatisfied with your products?
I’m thinking that either Hanes or Fruit-of-the-Loom ought to open up their wallets and acquire one of these up-and-coming undershirt brands that have a good product and good reputation and use their marketing power to introduce that brand to the masses.
What do you think?
Category: Undershirt Reviews